Asbestos found at Catherine Junior School, in Leicester, after roof fire
A Leicester school has been contaminated by asbestos after a fire earlier this week.
The fire destroyed the gym and damaged classrooms at Catherine Junior School, in Brandon Street, Belgrave, and pupils had to be evacuated shortly after 2pm on Tuesday. More than 60 firefighters helped put out the flames.
The city council said that the site must be decontaminated before an assessment of the damage can take place, and this is could take some weeks.
Parents of pupils at the school are being contacted by the council to update them and it said it is working with the school's headteacher Joy Denning to make arrangements to get the pupils back into school as quickly as possible.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Coun Vi Dempster said: "We are very aware this situation is putting great pressures on families and we are doing all we can to sort this out as quickly as possible, including talking to other schools and education providers in the area.
"We are sorry we can't give more information at this stage, but we will finalise arrangements to get children back into school and inform parents as soon as we can next week."
The city council is making emergency payments to parents whose children have lost coats and other items of clothing in the fire.
Council staff will be at Catherine Infant school today to administer these payments. The school is in the process of contacting parents, but anyone who hasn't heard from them can call in at the infant school this afternoon.