Police launch murder probe after Leicester kebab shop blast
Police have launched a murder investigation after the body of a man was found following an explosion in Leicester.
The Kams King of the Grill, in Narborough Road, Leicester, was demolished in the blast at 2.20am yesterday.
Six people, two men and four women, arrested in connection with the incident remain in custody after police obtained a warrant from magistrates for further detention.
Police and fire service officers remained at the scene throughout the day trying to determine the cause of the blast.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
A large cordon was in place around the building, which stands at the junction of Narborough Road and Hinckley Road – but it was scaled back during the day.
The body was discovered as contractors with a digger were working on the wreckage of the building at about 4.35pm.
A post mortem examination has been carried out. Police were unable to reveal any further details as to the man’s identity until his family have been informed.
The cordon around the site was increased and black sheeting was used to block the site from view.
Joseph Delderfield, 26, had been watching a digger clearing the site when he saw it pick up what was said to be a body.
He said: "Everybody was saying there's a body. I'm still shaking."
The explosion destroyed the two-storey take-away, a former public toilet.
Shockwaves or debris smashed windows in neighbouring buildings, some more than 50 yards away.
A number of people in neighbouring flats fled their homes or were evacuated when the emergency services arrived.
Kym Marshall lives in a flat just a few yards along from the shop. The 19-year-old said: "There was a massive bang and a shudder. It woke me up straight away.
"It was very scary. There was debris everywhere, and the building was on fire.
"There were people running towards the building and others were shouting, 'Get back, there's been an explosion'."
Cranmer Street resident Warren Bernstein, whose home backs on to the building, said: "It felt like an earthquake. There was a popping noise coming from it and we weren't sure if it was going to go up again.
"People were screaming because they thought there might have been people in there. It must have been a powerful explosion because the metal security shutter was thrown across the road."
Julie Bourton, 39, of nearby Dane Street, came out of her home to investigate.
She said: "There was a massive bang and the house shook. I couldn't believe it when I saw it."
The explosion was witnessed by crowds of bank holiday drinkers on nearby Braunstone Gate, where a small number of bars had just closed for the evening.
A witness, who was in the O Bar, said: "The building shook and we thought a car had crashed into one of the buildings on Braunstone Gate.
"There was a lot of dust in the air and people running towards the fire to find out what was going on."
Delicatessen owner Sebastian Sroka, visited the scene to assess the damage to his shop, which is next door to the takeaway. With no electricity he feared his £20,000 of stock would be lost.
Mr Sroka, who lives in Evington, said: "There are lots of cracks in the walls inside and the windows were shattered.
"We have no electricity, so the fridges are switched off and the food is going off.
"The police told us we should be able to start trading again in a few days, but I'm not sure."
Police are urging anyone with information has any information that would help the investigation to call 0116 222 2222.