Builders seeking £5m for bridge at Lubbesthorpe development
A bid has been submitted for £5 million of Government cash to build a bridge to cope with extra traffic from a proposed development of 4,250 homes.
The application was made by Leicestershire County Council last month to help pay for a bridge over the M1 to the proposed development at Lubbesthorpe.
The homes development has been given the go-ahead by Secretary of State Eric Pickles.
However, developers have said it could stall if the bridge is not built.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Opponents said the need for Government subsidy was not mentioned in the original plans.
Malcolm Fox, of Leicester Forest East, said: "Needing a Government subsidy for Lubbesthorpe New Town was never mentioned.
"Objectors to New Lubbesthorpe pointed out the poor quality of the proposal, particularly as it affected the surrounding areas.
"Begging for Government subsidy is but the first move in reducing what quality there is in the development."
The consortium of developers behind the proposals, which includes Hallam Land Management, said they could not afford all of the £8.76 million up-front cost of the bridge.
The county's bid is backed by Blaby District Council and the Highways Agency.
Outlining the bid, the applicants said: "The infrastructure requirement has created a burden which, in current market conditions, affects scheme viability in the early stages of the project and presents cash constraint during phase one."
A spokesman for Leicestershire County Council confirmed the authority had backed the call for Government money, which would come from the Local Pinch Point Fund.
He said: "The Government announced a Local Pinch Point Fund last Autumn and we have subsequently submitted a bid for £5 million, which has been supported by Blaby District Council, the developers and the city council."
No-one from the consortium was available for comment. In the application, they have guaranteed to meet any extra costs, should the project overrun.
If the grant is approved, work on the bridge would start in February and be completed in August 2015.