Devastating floods leave Sharnford pub wrecked and homes gutted
Flood victims are attempting to piece their lives back together after water tore through their homes and businesses.
Stacey Clapham was forced to wade through thigh-high water carrying her eight-month-old daughter, Jasmine, to escape her home in Sharnford.
The 26-year-old lives above the Countryman pub, where water rose to two-and-a-half feet on Sunday, causing £45,000 of damage.
The pub's kitchen was destroyed in the flood, and while the bar is now open, experts have said floors and furnishings will need to be torn out.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Ms Clapham, whose partner Paul Clough owns the pub, said: "I was woken up by the baby at about 5.45am and when I got down to the pub downstairs, it looked like someone had thrown a bucket of water on the floor.
"I went up to get the baby dressed and sorted and within 10 minutes, the water was two or three feet deep.
"It was unbelievable how quickly it happened.
"I just had to wade out through the water carrying the baby, while Paul tried to get the car out because it had her pushchair in it.
"It was absolutely horrific."
Ms Clapham, who is now staying with Mr Clough's sister, said the water had subsided by about 1pm, taking just 10 minutes to disappear.
Mr Clough had spent nine years renovating the pub.
"Everything in the kitchen has been ruined – the fridges, the freezers, the fryers – everything," Ms Clapham said.
"Paul has helped with everything that has been done in the front of the pub to get it how it was and the loss adjuster has told us the whole lot will have to come out.
"It's devastating, but there are people worse off than us in the village."
Neighbour Lesley Lockyer and her family have been left with just a handful of possessions after water filled her bungalow in Leicester Road.
She was woken by neighbours just minutes before water gushed under the front door, reaching the top of radiators within half an hour.
"I think I'm still in complete shock," Mrs Lockyer said. "We've lost almost everything. You can replace the cooker, the fridge, the carpets, the crockery, but you can't replace the trinkets and the treasures you have collected over the years.
"They are gone forever."
Mrs Lockyer, 45, shares her home with husband Simon, son Steven, 21, and her father, Bob Eagles, 67.
Living in a bungalow, everything below thigh-height was lost or destroyed by water.
"For some reason I just thought I must grab the passports, the folder with my college stuff in, and the documents for the insurance," Mrs Lockyer said. "We've been left with a few things – our laptops, our phones, a couple of pairs of shoes each, and some clothes that were hung up out of the water. That's about it."
Realising their home was destroyed, the family headed out into the village to help neighbours.
They are currently living in a hotel, and do not expect to get back into their home for three months.
"I can't even think about Christmas," Mrs Lockyer said. "It's only when you go to get something that you realise it is gone.
"I think we are very much going to be living day-to-day for the coming weeks and months."