Firefighters force way into burning home in Abbey Road, Enderby
Firefighters smashed their way into a family home after smoke was seen coming from an upstairs window.
The detached house in Abbey Road, Enderby, caught fire at about 7pm on Saturday.
Nobody was at home at the time.
Next-door neighbour Dan Jones, 37, smelled smoke while he was putting his bin out.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
He said: "I noticed the smell and before long there was smoke coming out of the windows at the back and the front of the house. I knocked on the door but no-one seemed to be home and the family's cars weren't there so I called 999."
Four fire engines, police and a paramedic were sent to the blaze.
The firefighters smashed open the front door to search the house and put out the blaze within an hour.
The British Red Cross fire and emergency support team, based in New Parks, Leicester, were sent at 9pm when the family returned home to find the emergency services outside.
Dan said: "The fire engines got here within 10 minutes. There was also a paramedic who came just as a precaution. They didn't find anyone inside.
"The family came back home after it was over and they were looked after by the Red Cross people and I think they've sorted out somewhere else to stay."
The fire service said the blaze had caused smoke damage to the upstairs of the property and that one bedroom was completely gutted.