High steaks manoeuvre as friend saved from choking
She was hailed a hero after rushing to a man's aid when he started choking – and now Caroline Burns has been saved herself.
The 46-year-old, from Loughborough, was in Benidorm when she went to the aid of a fellow holiday-maker who was choking on a piece of sausage.
Jonathan Howard, of Bury, Greater Manchester, said if she had not have been there to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre on him, he could have died.
He got in touch with the Mercury to publicly thank her for saving his life.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Now, Caroline has had her own life saved after choking on a piece of steak at home.
Friend Karen Andrews came to her aid after a piece became lodged in her throat.
Caroline said: "I'm quite renowned for eating fast and not really chewing my food properly. I cut off a large piece of steak, popped it in my mouth, chewed it for a bit and instantly felt it stick in my throat. I took a large sip of wine but even that didn't move it and I began to gag.
"I knew I was in trouble and I was beginning to panic, coughing and rasping for air."
Karen shot up from her chair and thumped her friend on the back, but nothing happened.
Caroline said: "She tried the Heimlich manoeuvre several times but the steak would not come up. Finally, she grabbed the phone to call an ambulance, but realised there was no way it would get here on time.
"She gave another three attempts at the Heimlich but much harder and suddenly the steak shot out of my mouth.
"When I saw myself in the mirror it was like a horror movie. My face was purple and the veins were popping out of my neck and face.
"I can't thank Karen enough for helping me. The whole thing was terrifying."
Caroline has done first aid training and said it was something everyone should consider.
"You never know when you might need it," she said. "I think everyone should do it."
Karen, 47, from Loughborough, said: "I thought Caroline was going to choke to death, and I was so scared for her.
"I started praying in my head she would stop choking as nothing I was doing was helping but, thanks to my training, it did in the end."