Inquiry after Leicestershire man's op cancelled twice in two days
Hospital bosses have launched an investigation after a man's operation was cancelled twice in two days.
John Cottam, of East Goscote, was told he needed an operation to remove a lump from his groin as quickly as possible.
However, after arriving for surgery at 8am on Tuesday, March 5, he waited until nearly 5.30pm before being told the operation had been cancelled.
The 57-year-old was kept in Leicester General Hospital overnight and the operation was re-scheduled for the next day. After finding himself still waiting at 7pm, he decided to discharge himself.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Mr Cottam said: "I feel very disillusioned with the NHS. I was put under stress.
"I had nothing to eat or drink for eight hours before going into hospital and then during the 35 hours in hospital I only had one meal and one drink.
"I have lost time off work as a carer and will not be paid for the days I have not been able to work.
"My wife also works and has had to use her annual leave to care for our young daughter, which I normally do in the afternoons."
Mr Cottam said he understood urgent cases had to be given priority.
However, he said he was annoyed about "the lack of information" that staff had about his case.
"I am also worried about the growth in my groin, which the doctor said should be removed as soon as possible," he said.
"It has got quite big and it is causing discomfort. I am worried about it but don't know when I will have the operation."
Mr Cottam, who has another health condition which can leave him very dehydrated unless he drinks and eats regularly, said: "I was beginning to feel ill, which is why I made the decision to discharge myself.
"I have put in a formal complaint to the hospital. I was loathe to do this as in the past I have always found the NHS to be brilliant.
"But this time my experience was terrible and everything seemed disorganised."
A spokesman for Leicester's hospitals said the patient information and liaison service had been in touch with Mr Cottam to apologise and "reassure him this will be fully investigated".
Health campaigner Zuffar Haq, a member of the Leicester Mercury Patients' Panel, said: "We have recently visited the urology wards and there is a huge amount of pressure, which is not sustainable and patients are suffering as a consequence. We are asking Leicester's hospitals to invest more in urology services."
Georgina Kenney, lead nurse for Urology at Leicester's hospitals, said: "I'd like to apologise to Mr Cottam for what sounds like a complete breakdown in communication. All of his concerns are being investigated and I will be inviting him to meet with me."