Leicestershire councillor Tony Kershaw restored to party ranks and scrutiny role
Police are to take no further action against a councillor who was arrested on suspicion of assault.
Tony Kershaw was suspended from Leicestershire County Council Conservative group last month after being arrested following an allegation of assault.
Police yesterday said they had fully investigated the matter and, along with the Crown Prosecution Service, concluded there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
The Tory group lifted Councillor Kershaw's suspension with immediate effect and restored him to his role as a scrutiny commissioner.
SUNDAY OPEN BUFFET EAT AS MUCH AS U CAN £6.99PP & A LA CARTE...View details
Come & Try our Delicious Menu with an Amazing 15% off all Food Bills on a la carte menu only
Terms: Lebanese & Mediterenian Menu With An Amazing 15% Off Your Food Bills on a la carte menu only
Contact: 0116 2169184
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
The 75-year-old former county council chairman, who lives in Anstey, said: "As far as I am concerned, the clock will turn back.
"I have maintained my innocence throughout this difficult episode and I am pleased this is now behind me.
"I'm grateful to those who have supported me and I look forward to resuming my duties as a Conservative councillor for Quorn and Barrow, as well as being the lead scrutiny commissioner for the group at County Hall."
Council leader Nick Rushton said: "Tony's suspension from the group was always without prejudice and he understood this while the case against him was ongoing.
"Now it's been dropped, Tony will get back to his job."
Coun Kershaw's arrest had cast doubts over whether he would be selected to defend his Quorn and Barrow seat in May's county council elections.
Coun Rushton said he would play no part in whether Loughborough Conservative Association choose to stick with Coun Kershaw or select another candidate.
The association will meet next week to decide whether they wish to keep Coun Kershaw as a candidate.
Association chairman Trevor Ranson said: "I will be circulating the information to members of the association in Quorn and Barrow.
"We had it confirmed that the police aren't continuing the case against Tony but we will still have to talk about the situation that has happened.
"To the best of my knowledge, everybody is happy with the work Tony has done as a county councillor ."
One senior Tory councillor at County Hall, who did not want to be named, said: "I would imagine they will stick with Tony, though I know there is someone else defending a small majority who would like to stand in his seat because it is safely Conservative.
"I think they will keep Tony but the problem they may have is that people always remember the allegation, not the fact it is dropped."
A police spokeswoman said: "A full investigation was carried out in relation to the allegation of assault, the Crown Prosecution Service was consulted and there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
"The 75-year-old man arrested in connection with the allegation has had his bail cancelled."