Man died after being struck in a street row
A man struck during a row in a street died from head injuries he sustained when he hit the pavement, a coroner has ruled.
An inquest heard Paul McAllister, 55, managed to get home unaware of the severity of the injury he had suffered.
But he collapsed at home and was taken to hospital in Leicester before being transferred to the Queen's Medical Centre. He had earlier been found unconscious in the street by his wife.
He had extensive neurosurgery but died 12 days later, on May 23.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Coroner Trevor Kirkman told a hearing in Loughborough that Mr McAllister had been involved in an "altercation" in the street.
He said a police report said Mr McAllister, of Queniborough, had suffered a blow and fallen backwards and struck his head on the pavement. The incident occurred at 10.30pm in Melton Road, Syston, on May 11, while he was out with his wife Sue.
Mr Kirkman said Mr McAllister, who was suffering from end-stage chronic leukaemia, was unaware of the serious injury, which had caused severe bleeding inside his skull.
He said Mr McAllister collapsed at home and was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary.
He was then transferred to the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham and had three operations, but died.
A medical report showed that Mr McAllister's leukaemia may have contributed to the fatal consequences of the head injury.
Shortly after the incident, his wife Sue found him unconscious in the street and managed to wake him and take him home in the car.
A 22-year-old man was later arrested in connection with the altercation and released on police bail.
Detective Inspector Simon Preston thanked people who came forward.
He said: "We would like to thank people for their assistance and for the response we've had so far to the appeals for information and witnesses."
After the inquest, a spokesman for Leicestershire Police said officers had sent a file on the incident to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which decided, after examining the evidence, not to proceed with the case.
A spokesman for CPS East Midlands said: "The evidence in this case was reviewed carefully by a senior crown prosecutor to determine whether any criminal charges should be brought.
"Having examined the circumstances, it was determined that the evidence supported the claim of self-defence, without excessive or gratuitous force, and it was therefore decided that there was insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction.
"None of these circumstances take away from the fact that Mr McAllister's family have had to cope with the loss of someone close to them. We offer our condolences."
Mrs McAllister said: "I knew the police were not going to charge the lad. My husband was terminally ill and I am sure he would not have wanted to blight the young man's life.
"We were married for 35 years and I loved him to bits. He is now at peace."