Security boosted after thug attack at the flats in Southey Close, in St Mark's, Leicester
Residents have welcomed a council decision to move the entrance intercom system from the back of a block of flats to the front.
City council officials are to re-site the door release mechanism at the flats in Southey Close, in St Mark's, Leicester.
Residents, backed by their MP Keith Vaz and councillor Manjula Sood, called on the council to move the pad and to take other measures after a savage attack on a resident last month.
Rajesh Devaliya, 47, was beat-en by four masked thugs as he stepped into the lift in the housing block.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
His brother Ashok Devaliya, who lives nearby, said: "This is good news. There is more that must be done, though."
Resident Michael Coney, said moving the pad would make it more visible.
The 86-year-old, who has lived in the flats since they were built in the 1970s, said: "The pad is in a bad place round the back, as it is so out of the way and hidden from view.
"At least when they put the pad at the front, it will be much more obvious and in view of passersby and residents."
Fellow resident Brenda Harvey, 64, said: "It is good they have done this. However, they must make sure they do not leave it there. They need to give us better lighting and CCTV cameras, too."
A 72-year-old resident, who did not want to be named, said: "It will help, but for us to feel safer we need CCTV in place."
Leicester East MP Mr Vaz said: "I am delighted to hear Leicester city council has taken positive steps.
"We await the installation of CCTV cameras and brighter lighting to stop the undesirables from gathering."
Assistant city mayor for housing, councillor Andy Connelly, said: "Our contractors have ordered the made-to-measure stainless steel plates needed to house the electronic panels and will be returning to move the system on February 25."
Leicester City Council and Leicestershire Police approved a dispersal order last month, covering every street in Belgrave and Latimer wards after complaints teenagers were intimidating residents.
It means police can disperse troublemakers from the area, with under-16s taken home to their families, and older people being ordered out of the wards.
Police have revealed they used the order to disperse seven teenagers – four boys and three girls – from the Belgrave and Latimer wards on January 23, after they were found to be behaving anti-socially.