Thugs who carried out a vicious street attack in St Peter's, Leicester have appeared in court
Nine thugs who took part in a brutal street attack on a man in St Peter’s, Leicester – and later refused to say why they had done it – have appeared in court.
The young men, some in their teens and some in their 20s, attacked their victim in Pluto Close in June 2011.
Some of the attackers punched and kicked the man, while others struck him with baseball bats.
At one stage the victim was hit in the head with a brick.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Alarmed residents called police as they watched the attack.
The group scattered when they heard approaching police sirens. However, they were rounded up over the next few days and weeks,
Those who took part in the violence, in June 2011, have refused to tell detectives why they attacked the man, who suffered relatively minor injuries.
A jury at Leicester Crown Court on Monday returned guilty verdicts on two men who had been charged with violent disorder.
Seven of their accomplices had admitted that offence at earlier court hearings.
Three of them were also convicted of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm.
Two others were cleared of all charges by the jury, and a 12th will have the case against him dealt with at a future date.
Detective Constable Rebekah Cortez said: “You would think the victim is very lucky to have escaped brain damage or worse.
“At one point one of the attackers is standing by him with a claw hammer, although we haven’t got any evidence that the hammer was used.
“We do know someone hit him on the head with a brick.
“I have never been involved in a case where so many people attacked another person.
“It is very unusual for something like this to happen in Leicester.
“We took this case very seriously, investigated it thoroughly, and brought those responsible to justice.”
Inspector Bill Knopp, commander of the Spinney Hills police, said: “This incident caused a considerable amount of concern for local residents.
“We responded with large numbers of officers so that we could be sure there would be no further disorder that evening, and so that we could catch those responsible and begin the criminal investigation.
“I would like to thank members of the local community who supported us and helped us complete that investigation.
“These convictions will send a message to the community and contribute to making St Peter’s a safer area.”
Leicestershire Police today released the defendants’ details:
Zoheb Din, 20, of Littlemore Close (pleaded guilty to violent disorder, found guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm)
Adam Anwar Mayat, 23, of Halstead Street (pleaded guilty to violent disorder, found guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm)
Ejaz Gul, 21, of Berners Street (pleaded guilty to violent disorder)
Mohammed Gul, 19, of Berners Street (pleaded guilty to violent disorder)
Joshua Oglivie Hawkins, 23, of Apollo Court (found guilty of violent disorder)
A 16-year-old, a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old each pleaded guilty to violent disorder.
An 18-year-old was found guilty of violent disorder and of attempted grievous bodily harm.
Two youths, aged 17 and 18 who cannot be named for legal reasons were cleared of all charges.
All those convicted are due to be sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court in May.
The case against an 18-year-old will be subject of a hearing in May.