Video evidence from public helped bring yobs to justice, Leicester Crown Court told
Thugs took part in a brutal street attack on a man – and later refused to say why they had done it.
The youths, some in their teens and some in their 20s, attacked their victim in St Peter's, in the city, in June 2011, Leicester Crown Court heard.
Some of the attackers punched and kicked the man, while others struck him with baseball bats.
Police said that at one stage the victim was hit in the head with a brick.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Alarmed residents called police as they watched the attack in Pluto Close.
The group scattered when they heard approaching police sirens but were rounded up over the next few days and weeks.
Police said that the youths and men who took part in the violence, in June 2011, have refused to tell detectives why they attacked the man, who suffered relatively minor injuries.
A jury at Leicester Crown Court on Monday returned guilty verdicts on two men who had been charged with violent disorder.
Seven of their accomplices had admitted that offence at earlier court hearings.
The attack was witnessed and filmed by members of St Peter's Neighbourhood Monitoring, a community group which records incidents of anti-social behaviour and criminal activity on its network of concealed cameras.
A spokesman for the group said yesterday: "This was an extremely serious and alarming incident of street thuggery.
"They felt nobody would say anything and that they would not be held to account for their actions.
"They have been caught because of the hard work of the police and the video evidence and the courts have dealt with them and a line has been drawn."
Detective Constable Rebekah Cortez said: "You would think the victim is very lucky to have escaped brain damage or worse.
"At one point one of the attackers is standing by him with a claw hammer, although we haven't got any evidence that the hammer was used."
Inspector Bill Knopp, of Spinney Hills police, said: "I would like to thank members of the community who supported us and helped us complete that investigation."
Police yesterday released the defendants' details:
Zoheb Din (20), of Littlemore Close, North Evington (pleaded guilty to violent disorder, found guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm).
Adam Anwar Mayat (23), of Halstead Street, Spinney Hills (pleaded guilty to violent disorder, found guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm).
Ejaz Gul (21), of Berners Street, Spinney Hills (pleaded guilty to violent disorder).
Mohammed Gul (19), of Berners Street (pleaded guilty to violent disorder).
Joshua Oglivie Hawkins (23), of Apollo Court, St Peter's (found guilty of violent disorder).
A 16-year-old, a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old – who cannot be named for legal reasons – each pleaded guilty to violent disorder.
An 18-year-old was found guilty of violent disorder and of attempted grievous bodily harm.
Two youths, aged 17 and 18, were cleared of all charges.
All those convicted are due to be sentenced in May. The case against an 18-year-old will be the subject of a hearing in May.