Villagers voice traffic fears
More than 2,000 people have had their say on a plans to build 4,250 homes.
A consortium of builders – Barratt Homes, David Wilson Homes, Davidsons Developments and Hallam Land Management – wants to develop the site at Lubbesthorpe, near Leicester Forest East.
The planning application, submitted to Blaby District Council last year, was revised after residents raised concerns about traffic congestion, air quality and loss of countryside.
Since then, 2,029 people have shared their views on the Blaby District Council website as part of the consultation, which finished on Friday.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
However, the authority has extended the time given to other district councils to have their say to September 17.
Peter Wilson, who lives in Leicester Forest East, said: "In fairness, the consultation period should be extended for everyone.
"The traffic flow information has only just become available.
"Everyone should be able to study that information and send their responses to Blaby council."
Opposition to the developement has been spearheaded by Leicester Forest East Residents' Action Group.
It said one of its main concerns about the scheme was traffic congestion.
The group said Blaby Road, Forest Road and Leicester Lane in the village were already busy at rush hour and it was worried about how the routes would cope with the extra traffic, despite new roads being built as part of the development.
However, developers have assured residents that traffic would not be an issue.
Paul Burton, from the New Lubbesthorpe development consortium, said: "We appreciate that change always causes concerns, particularly in terms of transport.
"We are working very closely with the highways authorities to ensure that mitigation measures are provided, including a multi-million-pound package of improvements incorporating new bridges over the motorways, junction improvements, traffic-calming measures and new bus services."
The 400-acre site would include three schools, a healthcare centre, shops, parks, play areas and an employment park.
Mr Burton said: "The inclusion of a full range of services will also help reduce the need to travel.
"This is a very high quality development. Almost half of the land will be green space, woodland and hedgerows, creating an attractive setting and helping to maintain the identities of existing communities, while also providing facilities and improved access to open spaces."
Blaby District Council has previously sent letters to 8,000 households in the area.
It has held regular briefings with parish councils and residents' groups as part of the consultation process.
However, it said it would not comment on the results of the consultation until all the information had been collected.