Violent allergic reaction killed Ethan
A miniscule speck of nut could have sparked the violent allergic reaction which led to the death of an 11-year-old, an inquest was told.
Ethan Thomas became ill moments after tasting a takeaway curry at his Loughborough home.
His parents, Rod and Judith, were aware that their son had a nut allergy and were scrupulous about his diet.
He had eaten the same curry before.
Miele S8390 Silence "Best Buy" Vacuum Cleaner - FREE BAGS Worth...View details
The Miele S8390 Silence Solution cylinder vacuum cleaner offers an 'Silent System Plus' 1200 watt motor and Miele's AirTeQ floorhead.
Best Buy Vacuum Cleaner with FREE pack of bags - Worth £15.
Terms: Limited Stock Offer - FREE 24 - 48 Hour Delivery to most UK Postcodes - 1 Hour delivery slot with tracking.
Contact: 01664 491439
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
But the hearing in Loughborough yesterday was told that on June 17 he became ill after tasting a few mouthfuls. He was given an injection of adrenaline through his epiPen to combat the attack but he got worse.
He was taken to hospital and given larger doses of adrenaline on the way, but later died.
Pathologist Roger Malcomson said: "Ethan could have been so sensitive that there may have been no nuts in the dish.
"It could be that there were nuts where the meal was being prepared and it was contaminated by utensils. A miniscule amount could cause the reaction in seconds."
Coroner Trevor Kirkman recorded a verdict that Ethan died as a result of an accident.
He expressed his condolences to Ethan's parents and the rest of the family.
Ethan's father Rod is running a half-marathon in London this month to raise money for the Anaphylaxis Campaign. Donate at: