Warning after cat 'poisoned'
An animal charity is appealing for information after a cat died of suspected poisoning.
The cat was taken to a vet when it became extremely ill after returning to its home in Weaver Road, Earl Shilton, but later had to be put to sleep.
After tests, it is believed the pet had ingested antifreeze.
The incident happened on Friday, August 17.
Cheap Van Insurance For 17,18 & 19 Year Old Drivers - Call Insure365 01782 898188, Free Legal Expenses Cover Included Valued at £25.00!
Terms: 1 Voucher Per Customer
Contact: 01782 898188
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
Ten days later, the owner, who did not want to be named, discovered another of her cats – a seven-month-old kitten – had been found dead in the next-door neighbour's garden. The cause of death is not known.
However, it was the fourth cat the owner has lost this year.
RSPCA inspector Alison North warned pet owners to be on their guard. "Sadly, many cats die as a result of ingesting antifreeze," she said.
"Many of us are not aware of how toxic it is so it's important we all take care when using, storing and disposing of it.
"It could save an animal from an incredibly painful death."
Earlier this year, a three-year-old tom belonging to the Earl Shilton owner was found dead.
An eight-year-old cat went missing and did not returned.
An RSPCA spokesman said: "There are concerns cases of antifreeze poisoning could be deliberate.
"Under the Animal Welfare Act, those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering face a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison.
"The chemical ethylene glycol, found in some brands of antifreeze, has potentially lethal consequences.
"Cats seem to enjoy the taste but they can soon suffer agonising deaths.
"The public should take extra care when using antifreeze to avoid spillages or leaks.
"Leftover antifreeze and water coolant should also be disposed of responsibly. The safest way is to take it to a council refuse site."
Symptoms include vomiting, seizures, appearing drunk and sleepy and an increased breathing rate. Cats will also often try to drink more fluids.
Owners should contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been in contact with the chemical.
Anyone with information about suspected antifreeze poisonings can contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.