I'll finish the job in re-match – Munroe
Rendall Munroe aims to finish the job properly when he faces Scott Quigg on what will be a pivotal night for both fighters.
At a press conference in Manchester yesterday, their re-match for the interim WBA super-bantamweight title was announced on the undercard to Ricky Hatton's return to action at the MEN Arena on Saturday, November 24.
It can't come soon enough for 32-year-old Munroe, who is hoping victory will propel him towards another crack at the world title.
Quigg, 23, also has ambitions and believes victory over the Leicester man will open the door to an eventual world-title shot. Defeat is something neither can contemplate.
SUNDAY OPEN BUFFET EAT AS MUCH AS U CAN £6.99PP & A LA CARTE...View details
Come & Try our Delicious Menu with an Amazing 15% off all Food Bills on a la carte menu only
Terms: Lebanese & Mediterenian Menu With An Amazing 15% Off Your Food Bills on a la carte menu only
Contact: 0116 2169184
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
When they met at the Manchester Velodrome, in June, the fight ended in a technical draw when Munroe suffered a cut right eye after an accidental clash of heads in the third round.
"The re-match is much-anticipated and everyone wants to see it," said Munroe.
"I thought the first fight was going well before it was stopped but, this time, I'm going to prove that I am world class.
"I'll do the business. I would like to stop him but a win is a win. If I don't stop him, I'll be ready to go the full 12 rounds."
Munroe is already in decent condition and happy that the injury that forced the original fight to be stopped, and required nine stitches, has healed.
"The eye is perfect, it is no problem at all," he said. "I've been sparring for the last couple of weeks, and been in with Jamie McDonnell, who is fighting in a world-title eliminator in Sheffield soon."
Exactly two years ago, Munroe suffered a points defeat to Toshiaki Nishioka, in Tokyo, for the WBC belt.
Since then, he has fought four times, winning three and drawing to Quigg.
The desire for another crack at the very top level drives him on. "I like to keep myself in shape and I'm always ready," he said. "I'm always doing something, whether it's at my manager's gym or my own gym, or just out running.
"My fitness levels are already very good, although I don't want to peak too early. Weight is never a problem, I'm never overweight, never underweight."
While Munroe boasts a record of 24 wins from 27 fights, British champion Quigg had an unblemished record of 24 straight victories before their June meeting. That blip still haunts him.
"I was absolutely devastated," he told Boxing News.
Looking ahead, Quigg could be eyeing a fight against the highly-rated Carl Frampton before turning his attentions to WBA champion Guillermo Rigondeux.
"It depends on how I perform against Munroe," he added.
Hatton confirmed yesterday, at the same press conference to announce the Munroe-Quigg re-match, that his first bout since coming out of retirement would be against 35-year-old Vyacheslav Senchenko.