Ten people hospitalised after chlorine leak at David Lloyd Leisure club, in Carlton Park, Narborough
Ten people were taken to hospital following a suspected chlorine leak at a gym.
The David Lloyd Leisure club, in Carlton Park, Narborough, was evacuated at about 1pm on Monday after a strong smell of gas was noticed in the pool area.
Forty people, including staff and members, were moved out of the gym and into a safe area.
Ten of these, including nine members of staff, were taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary.
All the injured were complaining of respiratory problems and were given precautionary checks.
East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust communications manager Mel Wright said: "The 999 call was received at 12.55pm and we arrived on scene within six minutes.
"Ten people were taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary, all classed with minor respiratory problems."
Four fire crews, including the hazardous area response team, were alerted to the gas leak at 12.59pm.
A fire service spokesman said: "The premises was evacuated due to a suspected chlorine leak. On arrival, crews detected a strong smell of gas, possibly chlorine, coming from the pool area.
"Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus conducted a search of the premises. The pool area was cordoned off and left to ventilate naturally."
A spokesman for David Lloyd Leisure said an investigation into the cause of the incident was under way.
He said: "The emergency services were alerted and members and staff were evacuated. Six members of staff, trained and qualified in emergency response and first aid, were in the vicinity.
"Nine members of staff went to hospital as a precautionary measure and were later released.
"We understand no members suffered ill effects requiring medical treatment.
"We would like to apologise for any inconvenience.
"Members were offered the option to use other David Lloyd Leisure clubs in the area during the closure."
The spokesman said the club reopened at 4pm on Monday and the pool was reopened the following afternoon.
A spokeswoman for Blaby District Council said the environmental health team had been told of the incident.