I risked my life to help British soldiers, my family and Afghanistan and it seems to count for nothing
It was a routine patrol with a British military unit in an Afghan village of the type they had been to many times before. A bright light signalled the detonation of the improvised explosive device.
Mohammad – as he wishes to be known – an Afghan interpreter, was thrown several metres, suffering shrapnel wounds to his chest, head, neck and arms.
The blast killed the British captain leading the patrol. Mohammad was airlifted to Camp Bastion for emergency surgery. He required 170 stitches.
He also temporarily lost the use of his hand and was deaf in one ear for over a year.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
"I was bleeding from everywhere. I could see the tendons and bone through the skin of my right hand," said the 26-year-old father of three, who lives in a single room in a house in Leicester.
"Two soldiers laid me down. I don't know how long the whole thing lasted – probably half an hour – but to me it felt like a year.
"I was drowning in my own blood, but the radio was destroyed in the blast so the soldiers couldn't call for support.
"Luckily, although I wasn't supposed to, I had my mobile phone with me. It had two numbers in, my dad and the battalion commander."
Two vehicles transported Mohammad and the rest of the patrol to safety at a nearby base, before helicopters flew them to Camp Bastion.
"The surgeons said I was lucky to survive. May God never bring that kind of day, even on my enemies," he said.
But the nightmare he suffered that day has continued.
Mohammad and his family received death threats because he worked for the "infidel forces", so he paid $15,000 (£9,200) to people smugglers to get him to Britain.
His clandestine journey to the UK included five days and nights in a small boat without food or water, then travelling through Italy and France.
He entered this country 16 months ago as an illegal immigrant, walking into a central London police station to make his plea for asylum before heading for Leicester.
Mohammad thought he had a strong case. But the UK Border Agency told him in a letter he would not be allowed to stay.
Investigators said they did not have evidence of how he was injured, that he was an Afghan or that his life was under threat if he had stayed.
Following publicity about his case which "has led to new and significant information", the agency withdrew its decision last week and agreed to review Mohammad's application.
But for a man separated from his wife, three young children, parents, brothers and sisters, and who lived under the constant threat of death in his homeland, it is small comfort.
"The reasons given for rejection were unbelievable and showed thorough checks had just not been made in my case," said Mohammad.
"I now have renewed hope but I am still cautious given what has happened.
"This latest decision to cancel the letter shows at least that people are still working to help me find justice."
Mohammad said some people in Afghanistan looked on interpreters as spies.
"I was attacked many times and an attempt was made to kidnap me because they saw it as me working for the infidels," he said.
"It's a very small country with tight communities."
The death threats increased when Mohammad returned to work at Camp Souter, the British base in Kabul after recovering sufficiently from his injuries.
He began to receive threats to himself and his family by phone and letter, even after he moved home and changed numbers.
"They would call me and tell me they knew where I worked and which way I went home," said Mohammad.
"I would often stay at the base, only going home a couple of nights a week to see my family.
"I saw what I was doing as helping my country, communicating between the forces and the locals that, with the will of God, things would get better.
"Few people allowed their sons to do the job, saying they were working for an infidel force. Those who did allow their sons to do it were not appreciated by anybody.
"Mentally, I've still not recovered from what happened to me.
"My life starts and ends in this room. I'm paid £36 a week in benefits and eat one meal a day. I cope somehow, but my life is like that of a prisoner.
"What kind of freedom is this? It's very difficult when I talk to my children at home. My five-year-old daughter started crying because she was missing me so much.
"I want to be reunited with my family. They have made sacrifices like me and should have the chance to come and live in a peaceful environment in the UK.
"I risked my life to help British soldiers, my family and Afghanistan and it seems to count for nothing."
Leicester East MP Keith Vaz has taken up Mohammad's case.
He said: "He should be given the right to remain in the country, given what he has done for this country in Afghanistan.
"I have written to Mark Harper, the immigration minister, asking for a meeting and asking him to review the decision.
"He should be allowed to stay here and be joined by his family.
"This is a genuine, strong case and I fully support it."